In honor of all the summer haircuts....

Yahoo! Avatars

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thing 7a

I recently went to a conference about 21st Century Skills. The entire session for the first day utilized the internet. Unfortunately for the hotel, speaker, and participants, the Internet did not accommodate 500 wireless users! You can only imagine the frustration of the entire room and the stress level of the tech services employees. The next day, there were ethernet cords set up in every break out room and I am sure the hotel had more than "I'm sorry" to say. One of my colleagues complained about the speaker not having a back up plan. As a tech facilitator, I find it difficult to have a back up plan when you're entire presentation is web based. There are several solutions, but life without the internet is a scary thought to You Tubers according to this post from readwriteweb.com.

There are several people out there who have shared videos about the historical process of the internet. The videos range from descriptions of the early internet sounds from dial up, to the speed of it, to discussions about what we can and cannot do without it. The Internet is our world and the strangest thought to me is this-I was alive before the internet. Wow! I am part of history by watching it happen and living through the transition!

1 comment:

lwdlbrn said...

I have often wanted to present utilizing various tech skills, but it amazes me at the lack of support you get at hotels. How do you modify a tech presentation without technology? It is time they ALL start providing easy access in order to maintain clientele.