In honor of all the summer haircuts....

Yahoo! Avatars

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Drumroll, Please. Thing 23

The Ning Network sounds like some sort of television station! I started a Ning two years ago before I really knew what a Ning was supposed to do! It is called IWANNAPLAYCOMPUTERS and I wanted everyone to join and give some great gift ideas USING technology. I am always creating books, calendars, movies, etc. for gifts and I wanted to know what others did. It never took off, though. As life goes, we got too busy to ever really pursue anything with my Ning! Back in February, we went to TCEA and our department had a Ning about the conference. This was the greatest use of a Ning for our department and a FREE resource we were able to share with one another. I really felt like I experienced the conference so much more because of the others sharing their thoughts with the world! Imagine how this could work in a classroom all year. The students would have a social outlet to use that is user friendly, and safe as it is monitored by the facilitator.

The Classroom 2.0 Ning has an incredible amount of information and resources. One thing I liked is the Visual Vocab app I found posted on the Ning. Since we are all fairly new at integrating iPods/touhes/Pads, etc., we need to see these new resources! There were also a ton of ideas to use with the kids in the classroom.

When I first found the Ning, I just thought it was like creating a web site, but have since discovered it is SOCIAL NETWORKING. It is an interactive site with friends, co workers, family, etc. It has so many uses and I hope we will be able to use it for free, or very cheap, in education!

No comments: