In honor of all the summer haircuts....

Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, July 19, 2010

Thing 22

Since social is my middle name, I decided to focus on the networking part of this thing! I already have accounts set up for My Space and Facebook. The cool thing about that, however, is that for the first time in my 23 things coursework, I was able to check these accounts without feeling like I was off task! Yipee! Social networking is one of the most incredible inventions of our times! We truly are separated by only six degrees. Networking has long been a way to get jobs, make connections, and change our lives! That is what these sites are doing for our society. Understanding how these work can help us understand the needs of our kids better. If we know what interests them, we can create lessons that "speak their language".

I use my site primarily for social networking with friends. I am not on these sites to meet new people or use the site to learn much. This has changed throughout my exploration of the sites! In the instructions of the lesson, we are told to add authors, schools, etc. A couple of years ago, while reading Wes Fryer's Blog, I was sold on this idea. Yet again, I didn't make the time so here I am rediscovering. Wes Fryer give examples of students setting up Skype interviews based on the usage of Facebook to track down authors, inventors, and others that can assist in educating students! It is an amazing way to connect and bring real people into the classroom where you never before would have had the opportunity!

I am biased to using Facebook as it's features are more simplistic and do not require an artistic or creative eye to develop! MySpace takes much longer to load pages and everyone has to be friends with the stranger named Tom. I like to add only those I know (LOL).

Integrating education in the use of these sites could impact our schools. First of all, they are FREE tools. All we need is Internet!It was once told to me that Japan utilizes these free resources for their students. I don't know the validity of that comment, but I have seen smaller school districts with less money implement more free materials with great success. Creating profiles of book characters is one of my all time favorite ideas! Questions could be posted and comments easily left starting incredible discussion groups. Students can utilize a MySpace page to upload all types of media created in the classroom. What better venue to access than his/her own space? Check out my spaces and places!

DeAnna's Facebook
DeAnna's MySpace

No comments: