In honor of all the summer haircuts....

Yahoo! Avatars

Monday, July 19, 2010

Thing 18

I tell everyone in most of my classes you can learn how to do anything on the Internet. Two years ago, my headlight went out. I was in Rockwall at basketball practice with my kids and it was dark. I called to find the headlight at the local merchant and proceeded to look up the "how to" video on YouTube using my iPhone. I watched it, got out of the car, and changed my headlight for $7.00. Now, I have no idea what they would have charged me to do it elsewhere, but as a single mom, every penny counts. That is when I discovered the power of the site! It is amazing what we can learn. Since then, I have learned how to make better bows at Christmas, create jewelry, and string my weed eater!

The power of the site in the classroom is incredible! Our students can learn so many things. There are all sorts of lessons they have access to immediately. There are also different genres available to them. The topic I chose to look into as a facilitator relates to motivating teachers to become more technology savvy. These clips are great to use as powerful tools and emotionally stir us!

I also found videos that give great screen casts and overviews of different software programs we train our teachers to use. Comic Life and Inspiration were two I found. These are great openers in trainings and resources our teachers can utilize from anywhere. These introductions can be for students as well. Often times, I have seen high school students watch the overview of a program and figure it out in one 45 minute session! It's amazing!

The most important thing for kids is to share their work. You Tube is also a great place to post their own videos. One thing I know the students love to do is share their work with the world. Thanks You Tube!

No comments: